Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Shoes Are My Drug

I have been thinking the last few weeks over outfits. I surf the Internet looking at clothes and fashion, I read magazines on accessories, I even look up which makeup looks best with which colors. And in all my research and reading I've come to the conclusion that, in my case, I always start building my outfit with shoes.

Now don't get me wrong, there is always that perfect top that fits in all the right places or the pants that make your butt look fantastic, but for me it has been and always will be shoes. I think I have around one hundred pairs of shoes. Seriously, it's like some sort of drug, and I thought I might share how I pick an outfit based on shoes and how I pick out shoes.

First of all I should mention when it comes to shoes I am not afraid of color. I mean I have shoes ranging from bright green to fire engine red to multi-colored straps flying everywhere. I express myself through the color of accessories. If the shoes don't have a lot color then I require a lot texture and design like this. And if they come with both, then I must own them.

OK, when picking an outfit I have some strict rules that I follow. Now these rules are for my body. Also some of my rules are strange and funny. If you'd like to share your strange and funny rules about fashion please feel free to post in the comments.

Rule number one: Ankle boots are only to be worn with skinny jeans or a short skirt/dress/shorts. That way it accentuates how long my legs are. Here we see Kim Kardashian in the skinny jeans look. And Nicky Hilton wearing tights with her mini dress and boots look.

Rule number two: While wearing a neutral or dark colored dress always always always go for the loudest color shoes possible. Black and neutral colors give you a base to build upon. So do simply cut dresses. Here we see Rihanna matching black with red in a funky way with lace gloves and a short black party dress.

Rule number three: This may sound like a crazy one but I throw it out there........white shoes after labor day are a no-no. Just because I saw the movie Serial Mom and even though it's meant to be funny it scared the crappola out of me! It might just be because I'm a big wimp. (I'd like to mention that this rule is only for those people out there that truly think Serial Mom could happen!)

Rule number four: I have never and will never wear gladiator sandals. On someone as tall as me I literally look like an amazon. All I need is a leather breastplate and I could be Xena's sidekick. Now they might look good on people shorter and tiny, but for me being 6'2",, it just does not work. Mary-Kate Olsen is probably tiny enough to pull these off.

Lastly, rule number five: When matching accessories to an outfit or shoes, I make sure they compliment each other but don't exactly match. I like the POW of color, but being too matchy matchy with accessories makes me feel like I'm being dressed by my grandmother. Now Don;t get me wrong, I love both my grandmothers, but they were raised in a different time and fashion era. A time when they wore gloves going out of the house and matched shoes with handbags. Now I love the fashion of the fifties and sixties, but adding your own twist to the outfit and fashion is what makes it fun.

Above all else you just need to be able to look in the mirror and like what you see. If it's fun and its you, then you did a great job. Be proud! And please feel free to post pictures and comments. We love to see fashion of all kind!


(Also, if you are afraid of Serial Mom, post that too. I don't want to be alone in this!)

No comments:

Post a Comment